December is one of the busiest months of the year. With several major holidays occurring throughout the month, it is a time filled with celebrations, commercial sales, and events of personal and religious significance. As one of the key commercial and cultural hubs of the United States, New York City attracts not only local residents but also visitors from all over the world to its many holiday events.
Here are some holiday events occurring during the month of December in NYC.
NYC Holiday Events
- Bryant Park Winter Village: The Bryant Park Winter Village is one of the most well-known winter sites in NYC. With a 17,000 square foot ice skating rink and 120 stores and restaurants, The Bryant Park Winter Village offers visitors several different things to do and see. Stores will remain open through January 2nd with the ice rink remaining open until March 4th.
- The Radio City Christmas Spectacular: Celebrating its 89th year, The Radio City Christmas Spectacular has been a key attraction for tourists and residents of NYC for decades. Headlined by the Rockettes, The Radio City Christmas Spectacular is a site to see with LED effects and a flying Santa. The Spectacular will run through January 1st.
- The Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree: Lit by over 45,000 LED lights the 78-foot Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree is an enduring holiday time event. The tree will be lit until 7:00 pm on January 7th.
- Holiday Window Shopping: The stylish displays placed in the front windows of many famous NYC stores can be as impressive as the items they are selling. Notable displays include Saks Fifth Avenue’s tribute to the Disney movie Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Macy’s tribute to family traditions, Lord & Taylor’s snow globe theme, and Tiffany & Co. will pay tribute to the Tiffany Blue Box with their window displays.
- The Nutcracker: The Nutcracker is perhaps the most well-known holiday-themed stage plays. Running through December 31st, this rendition is being performed by the New York City Ballet at David H. Koch Theater.
- New Year's Eve: There is no shortage of events to celebrate the coming of the New Year. The most famous of these is, of course, Times Square. However, there are several other New Year’s Eve events to keep in mind. Other events include BangOn!NYC Presents New Year’s Eve 2017, Webster Hall’s 2017 New Year's Eve Ball, and Wild Life NYE 2017 with Disclosure.