Spring is in full swing now that it is April. New York City residents are most likely itching to get out and explore all the city has to offer now that the days are starting to warm up a bit. Residents that are looking for things to do in NYC this April will find plenty of options nearby our Stuyvesant Town community. The following are just a few of this month's happenings worth checking out in NYC:
- The Tribeca Film Festival - The Tribeca Film Festival is one of the biggest film festivals in the city and one of the most highly regarded in the country. It was founded by Robert DeNiro and several of his colleagues back in 2001. The festival is known for showcasing an eclectic variety of films that include local indie films, foreign films, documentaries, short films and some of the newest releases from well-known auteur filmmakers. The festival will also feature numerous panels and events. Screenings occur at several different venues in the Tribeca area from April 13th to April 14th.
- Broadway Shows - Feel like catching a play? There's no better place to do it in the entire world than in NYC. There are a number of fantastic Broadway shows opening in April that you may want to buy tickets for. Anyone that loved the satire of the Christian Bale-starring film, American Psycho - or the Brett Easton Ellis book it was based on - will no doubt be curious as to how it will translate to the American Psycho Musical, which opens on April 20th (and is definitely for adults only). For a more family-friendly showing, attend the Cirque du Soleil Paramour, which focuses on a poet that is forced to choose between love and art. The show blends together Broadway musical theatre along with circus arts and will open on April 16th. Other shows of note opening in April include Waitress Broadway Musical and Tuck Everlasting Broadway Musical.
- Brooklyn Folk Festival - The eight annual Brooklyn Folk Festival will be held at St. Ann's Church in Brooklyn Heights from April 8th to April 10th. You don't need to be a folk music enthusiast to enjoy the live music that will be performed at this festival either - multiple genres will be represented, including blues and Americana as well as global music from Guinea and the Middle East. There's even a banjo-toss contest!
- Orchid Show - What better way to enjoy the coming of Spring than by visiting the Orchid Show, which is held at the Enid A. Haupt Observatory in the New York Botanical Gardens? The show exhibits thousands of different species of blossoming orchids and provides a great opportunity to learn about the beautiful flower, including the famous "Orchid Delirium." There will even be screenings of the Spike Jonze orchid-centered film, Adaptation. The Orchid Show will run until April 17th on Tuesdays to Sundays from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
- Yankees Game - Baseball fans will be excited to know that the season finally kicks off again on April 3rd, with the Yankees opening season game scheduled against the Houston Astros on April 4th. If you're looking for something all-American to take part in, then it doesn't get more American than chowing down on a hot dog, some cracker jacks and a giant beer or soda with friends or family at a baseball game. There will be plenty of different games scheduled throughout April at the Yankee Stadium, including games against the Seattle Mariners and the Oakland Athletics.
Check out these NYC happenings this April and contact us at our Stuyvesant Town community for more information about the area.