Residents of our Stuyvesant Town community that are looking for something fun to do on March 17th for St. Patrick's Day certainly won't have to look very hard. The city is brimming with different activities and events celebrating the foremost patron saint of Ireland. The following are just a few of the things you can do on this St. Patrick's Day:
- The St. Patrick's Day Parade - New York's St. Patrick's Day Parade is one of the oldest in the country. In fact, this will be its 255th occurrence, making it older than the United States. It began back in 1762 when a group of Irish conscripts from the British Army became homesick. The parade is expected to draw more than two million onlookers as it makes its way up Fifth Avenue, from 44th Street to 79th Street. The parade will begin at 11:00 AM.
- The Annual St. Patrick's Day Open Day - Begin your St. Patrick's Day celebrations early by learning a little bit about Irish art and culture at the Irish Arts Center. This is an excellent place to bring the kids as there will be all kinds of activities to take part in, including craft workshops, authentic Irish dance and music performances, face painting, tin-whistle playing, tap-dancing and much more. You can also simply show up for a cup of tea as you watch artists perform. The event will be held on March 13th and is free of charge.
- St. Patrick's Day at the Merchant's House Museum - The only preserved home from the 19th century in New York is the Merchant's House Museum. You can take a tour through the home, where you'll be able to walk through the fourth-floor servants' quarters and see exactly how Irish immigrants lived in the mid-19th century. There will be four tours held on St. Patrick's Day, the first being at 12:30 and the last being at 6:30.
- Narrowback and Girsa - If you want to liven up your St. Patrick's Day festivities with some live music, then pick up tickets for Narrowback and Girsa at Webster Hall downtown. Beginning at 5:00 PM, you'll be able to enjoy some Irish-influenced music as Girsa play a number of fiddle, accordion and banjo-based ballads and hymns. They will then be followed by the more American-rock influenced Narrowbacks as they play songs from their newest album.
- St. Paddy's Day Irish Whisky Tasting - There's probably nothing more Irish than whiskey, so what better way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day then by taking part in a whiskey tasting class held by Camaje Cooking Classes? For only $65, you'll get a chance to sample some of their favorite Irish whiskeys. The class will be held from 6:30 to 8:30 PM. Snacks will be served as well.
- Official St. Patrick's Day PubCrawl NYC - The St. Patrick's Day pubcrawl is an excellent way to celebrate the holiday as well as explore some of the city's amazing bars. There are a number of participating bars all over the city where you can register. There you will be provided with a wristband along with a map of all participating venues and a list of drink specials.
These are just a few of the many St. Patrick's Day-themed events being held in New York City.