Residents of our Stuyvesant Town community often look forward to the winter season because it gives them a chance to participate in a number of winter sports, from skiing to snowboarding. While these activities can't be found within NYC itself, there are plenty of fantastic skiing destinations within a short distance from the city. The following are a few of the most popular skiing destinations located within a few hours of New York City that you might want to check out this winter:
- Belleayre Mountain - Belleayre Mountain is a state-run mountain located in the Catskills Forest Preserve within three hours of the city. It boasts 47 trails suitable for skiers of all skill levels, although most of the trails tend to attract intermediate level skiers. If you're looking for a place to snowboard, then Belleayre Mountain has a number of attractive features, including a terrain park along with two progression parks that are full of jumps, rails and boxes. The mountain is open from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Weekday tickets cost $47 while weekend tickets cost $59.
- Hunter Mountain - Hunter Mountain, also located in the Catskills and only 2.5 hours away from New York City, offers visitors 58 trails that are grouped together into three different clusters, one that's perfect for beginners, one that's better suited for intermediate level skiers and one that provides a challenge to more experienced skiers. In addition to the renowned skiing terrain, Hunter Mountain also boasts the Liftside Condominiums, whit provide luxury mountainside accommodations and award-winning facilities. You will also find a dozen eateries, two full-service retail stores and a number of programs for skiers of all ages. Adult tickets cost $66 during the week and $76 during the weekend. There is a discount for juniors and young adults.
- Pineridge Cross-Country Ski Area - The Pineridge Cross-Country Ski Area is the place you want to go if you're looking for a full cross-country skiing experience similar to those found in alpine ski resorts. Only three hours away from the city, this ski area is located in the foothills of the Taconic and Berkshire Mountains. It consists of 38 miles of woodland trails, both groomed and ungroomed, that wind along the Poestenkill Creek. The area is perfect for skiers of all skill-levels and ages and there are lessons available. The ski area is open from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- Thunder Ridge Ski Resort - The Thunder Ridge Ski Resort is only an hour outside of the city. The resort has a combination of real and man-made snow as well as a ski school for children that want to learn how to ski. The resort is better suited for beginners and families that are looking for fun more than they are looking for a challenge. Adult tickets cost $40 during the week and $50 during the weekend.
- Windham Mountain Resort - Also located in the Catskills, the Windham Mountain Resort provides 12 trails that are perfect for beginners as well as seven double-black runs that are better suited for intermediate and expert level skiers. The resort also has five terrain parks, including the Big Air Bag, which is a large inflatable cushion that lets skiers practice jumps. Tickets are $52 during the week and $72 during the weekends.
If you're looking to go skiing this winter, then we recommend that you check out any of these popular ski areas, all of which are within a short driving distance from the city. For more information about living in the NYC area or about our Stuyvesant Town community, be sure to contact us at Peter Cooper Village Stuyvesant Town today.