Long Island City is in the west area of Queens and in the last few years has seen extensive growth when it comes to neighborhoods, restaurants, parks and entertainment opportunities. There are three main neighborhoods that make up Long Island City, these are Blissville, Dutch Kills, and Hunters Point. All of these neighborhoods have something to offer and should be included when you take a day trip to Long Island City.
Take A Day Trip to Long Island City
With plenty to see and do and not far from the other New York boroughs, Long Island City is a great place to spend a day. From beautiful parks to art galleries, you may find that Long Island City becomes one of your favorite day trip destinations.
Here are some attractions you may want to plan for on your day trip.
- Gantry Plaza State Park - Great for all ages, Gantry Plaza State Park is a great place to spend a couple of hours. Bring a picnic breakfast or lunch and enjoy the views of Manhattan, several playgrounds, and miles of walking trails. If you don't have a picnic, don't worry, you can grab food from the park cafe.
- MoMA PS1 - This is one of the many galleries that has a strong following in Long Islands City's thriving art scene. The MoMA PS1 does not hold regular artwork, offering visitors a different experience every time. With over 100 rooms of art, including an amazing rooftop space, you can easily spend a few hours at the gallery.
- LIC Bar - The LIC or Long Island City Bar is a great place to stop for drinks. It is rated one of the best bars in the area, this is due to its relaxing feel, large range of craft beers and welcoming staff.
- Sweetleaf's - If you are looking for a place to stop, relax, grab a bite to eat and a good cup of coffee, Sweetleaf's is the place to go. With two locations in Long Island City, these eclectic cafes are the perfect place to sit and rest.
- Socrates Sculpture Park - This open-air sculpture gallery is located by the river and offers guests the chance to stroll through around 15 different sculptures while also taking in beautiful views of Manhattan. You can choose to wander through the park yourself or take a tour.
- Weekend LIC Art Bus - If you plan your day trip for the weekend and you plan on visiting several of the galleries in the area, you can take the LIC Art Bus. The bus is free and will transport you to many of the area galleries including the Socrates Sculpture Park.
From an extensive list of galleries to a host of new up and coming and restaurants and plenty of open spaces to roam you should certainly plan to take a day trip to Long Island City soon.
To live close to Long Island City and other amazing neighborhoods, contact Stuyvesant Town today for availability in our community.